Re: Science linguistics and debian-science SVN repository at alioth

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Rudi Cilibrasi wrote:

Wow, small world!  I have been very interested in WordNet for years
and in fact it has been a major (but relatively unpublished) and
recurring interest in my own personal computational linguistics
research.  I have made first the popular "poetry generation" programs
using wordnet, and then later wrote programs to search through the
network of synsets for shortest paths to try to glean meaning from
text computationally.    Thanks for maintaining this important
package, it has been extremely important in my development and I am
not alone in saying the WordNet package was one of the most inspiring
things to happen in computational linguistics in the 90's.

I'd welcome team maintenance as I said... ;-)
(BTW, currently I have some changes regarding tcl/tk 8.5 on my
local disc which will be uploaded in the near future.

About the pkg-scicomp version pkg-science debate, I must admit that to
me it is an abuse of English to suggest that pkg-scicomp is somehow
reasonably distinct in meaning from pkg-science.  To me, pkg-scicomp
is about Scientific Computation.

I _personally_ agree, but the "to me" in your sentence is cruxial.  I
had to learn that so many people have different perceptions about
things and it should be a warning for us if the issue is even brought
up on this list.  Very often confused users do _not_raise their
voice and thus we have to assume at least 10 users who have the
same naming problem for every single poster here.

But at this stage I think Debian is
having some flexibility issues and we are sort of stuck unable to
refactor our team organization this year so far.

... this year has a DebConf to come and I will be active on this
front ...

I still think it is
important and overdue and would welcome new shared repository focus.

That's why I'm checking the situation _now_ to be prepared and know
the issues to solve for DebConf.