Re: Science linguistics and debian-science SVN repository at alioth

Hi Andreas,

Wow, small world!  I have been very interested in WordNet for years
and in fact it has been a major (but relatively unpublished) and
recurring interest in my own personal computational linguistics
research.  I have made first the popular "poetry generation" programs
using wordnet, and then later wrote programs to search through the
network of synsets for shortest paths to try to glean meaning from
text computationally.    Thanks for maintaining this important
package, it has been extremely important in my development and I am
not alone in saying the WordNet package was one of the most inspiring
things to happen in computational linguistics in the 90's.

About the pkg-scicomp version pkg-science debate, I must admit that to
me it is an abuse of English to suggest that pkg-scicomp is somehow
reasonably distinct in meaning from pkg-science.  To me, pkg-scicomp
is about Scientific Computation.  But anything that you might check
into a "software repository" called "pkg-science" would probably
computer software, and I don't know what software does if not run a
computation.  So the naming scheme is bankrupt as it stands and I feel
partially responsible for failing to simplify this complex situation
for our confused users and team members.  I have also felt for some
time now that I wished the pkg-science team had a shared repository.
I myself keep dozens of repositories and I do have a lot of open
source projects like CompLearn that I would be happy to move in when
there is a good place to do it.  But at this stage I think Debian is
having some flexibility issues and we are sort of stuck unable to
refactor our team organization this year so far.  I still think it is
important and overdue and would welcome new shared repository focus.

Best regards,

Rudi