Re: [RFC] New task: science-dataacquisition

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:

Agreed, I find that in particular very irritating.  How are we to
communicate information about our packages to Ubuntu science folk?  It's
not at all clear where to email such info other than said mailing list,
but I also have never been able to get my emails to the list.  Could
they at least whitelist the emails of maintainers of the relevant Debian
packages?

If you ask me the situation would be very simple: If Ubuntu derives from
Debian I would care for pushing all interesting software straight to Debian
and later derive with (hopefully) automatical tools. (I do not know Ubuntu
enough whether this is really done (semi)automatically.)  There is at least
one positive example (namely Morten Kjeldgaard) who is actually following
this principle.  The logical consequence in my opinion would be to have
this debian-science list as common discussion list for packaging scientific
software.

Well, I'm aware that statements like this might push me into the Ubuntu
unfriendly Debian maintainer corner.  I can stand with this because I know
this is not the case.  I just prefer to tackle problems at the source which
in this case is Debian.  IMHO it would save a lot of time if we would join
forces here.  So please save your time and do not tell me what a great job
Ubuntu Science people are doing.  I do not doubt this - I just say it can
be done more efficiently together.

PS: Please note that I do not answer any mail that tries to turn this into a
    Debian Ububtu flamewar.  My intent is the contrary of a flamewar and
    thus I will not stupidly heat the flames.