Re: [RFC] New task: science-dataacquisition

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Stuart Prescott wrote:
>> There's no ubuntu package (there may be unofficial ones floating around
>> but
>> they are extremely unlikely to be acceptable to debian due to the problems
>> previously described). The program is just mentioned on the Ubuntu wiki as
>> being a useful program.
>
> So this list on the Ubuntu website is just another list of scientific
> software
> without any substancial profit for the user?  Hmmm, didn't I expressed my
> feeling that this page is not impressing me much?  Google will uncover lots
> of such kind of lists and you will run crazy if you try to compare these
> whether they are up to date or not.  Our tasks list is related to ready to
> install software with a single click or at least gives some status what has
> to be done to move a project to this status.  IMHO that's at least two
> degrees
> better, sorry.

Andreas, it might be helpful if you actually go to the page [1]. It
does give a lot of information about ready to install software and
what repositories they are found, etc. It is however, not limited to
just software available in Debian/Ubuntu but 3rd party software that
scientists might find useful. It has a lot of profit for the user if
they don't know specifically what scientific software is out there or
where to look. It is just meant as a useful portal for Ubuntu users to
"plug" into science related software available to them. It does very
little to address developer-related concerns.

I'm not saying Debian Science should adopt such a page, quite the
opposite, the tasks lists are very impressive indeed.

-Jordan

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuScience