Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

Am Samstag, den 11.10.2008, 15:40 +0100 schrieb Chris Walker:
> I do like the approach of having a simple plain text file - while not
> machine readable does make it clear the appropriate citation - (and in
> this case the request that "modified by author, institution, location,
> year be added if appropriate").

Having a CITATION file is nice and a good ...

> Supplying the information in a widely used bibliographic format _as
> well_ would be nice - and make it easier to pull out for the tasks web
> pages.

... but this is where I'd like to go to. Besides the task pages, I think
having such information available in a nicely integrated way adds value
for our users. Everyone spending time on searching for the information
what to cite or what to ready to understand the software better is time
well wasted as we have already have everything to provide that
information to the user. We just need to deploy it. (And write a little
script once.)

> To answer a question from somewhere else in the thread, I don't know
> if it is standard, but Phys Rev Letters includes a doi field[1] in
> bibtex format citations.

DOI seems to grow and spread, and is definitely a nice thing. If the
reference has a DOI, we should mention that. It allows quite access to
the reference. I'm not sure whether it is possible to request
bibliographic entries via a DOI yet.

Best regards
Manuel