Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

Am Samstag, den 11.10.2008, 10:35 -0500 schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> On 11 October 2008 at 15:40, Chris Walker wrote:
> | I do like the approach of having a simple plain text file - while not
> | machine readable does make it clear the appropriate citation - (and in
>
> FWIW that is was R does. [...] Obviously, this is easier for R as it
> provides one coherent system. But we could start with an additional
> file in debian/ and go from there.

In case of R, I don't think it is necessary to provide redundant
information. It's easily extractable by something like:

charlie:~$ r -e'print(toBibtex(citation("boot")))' | sed -e '/^\[\[/d'

From there, one can convert that to pretty much everything. That is
something a tool like dh_installreferences could do. Only drawback would
be an extra build dependancy to littler.

Of course, one could extract the information once to debian/references
and be done, but keeping CITATION and the former in sync might be some
maintainance burdon. Dunno how often CITATION files change, though.

Best regards
Manuel