Re: A great list of scientific software

Le 19 Aug 2008 12:27:55 +0100,
Chris Walker <chrisw@chiark.greenend.org.uk> a écrit :

> > What do you think about this software.
> > http://www.tango-controls.org it is a control system developed by
> > peoples working in european synchrotron facilities.
>
> I've used it :-).

Cool :)

> I think it would be useful.  I was recently looking for a data
> acquisition system (labview like I guess, though I've only ever used
> spec) and failed to find an obvious one.

There is a tango binding for labview but it is not yet distributed with
the official tango distribution. A really good way is to use the tango
binding. Whith this you can controlate everythings on your
X-Rays beamline with a real programming language.

I am in charge of a spec replacement for the tango system so now we can
controlate diffractometers without spec. the name of the library is for
now libhkl (C++), you can have a look of the sources in
http://repo.or.cz/w/hkl.git there is no debian package for now but I
can build one easily if someone requeste for it.

> Tango looks rather complex for a single user apparatus - a debian
> package would certainly make it easier. Is it useful for that sort of
> thing?

I hope. And it is true that installing tango is not that easy. So
definitly a package can help.

> I've added it to tools with unofficial packages at
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Physics

Thank you.

> You might try asking on debian-mentors for help getting the package
> in. One comment is that a description "The Tango starter device" is
> not helpful to someone who doesn't know what tango is. I might suggest
> something like "tango-starter - Starter device for the TANGO
> distributed control and data acquisition system"

I am already in contact with tha Corba team for the review of this
package.

by the way as it seems that english is your mother thong, can you give
me some hints for the package description. I am not that efficient
in english :(

Thanks

Frederic