Re: A great list of scientific software

picca <picca@synchrotron-soleil.Fr> writes:

> Le 13 Aug 2008 12:16:22 +0100,
> Chris Walker <chrisw@chiark.greenend.org.uk> a écrit :
>
> > So AFAICT, other than the two packages mentioned above, anything
> > packaged for ubuntu is also packaged for debian. It would be worth
> > adding some packages to the debian-science metapackages, and perhaps
> > also going through to find interesting software not packaged for
> > debian.
>

> What do you think about this software.
> http://www.tango-controls.org it is a control system developed by
> peoples working in european synchrotron facilities.

I've used it :-).

> Do you think it can be part of debian science. A version of the package
> is on mentors (his name : tango).

I think it would be useful.  I was recently looking for a data
acquisition system (labview like I guess, though I've only ever used
spec) and failed to find an obvious one.

Tango looks rather complex for a single user apparatus - a debian
package would certainly make it easier. Is it useful for that sort of
thing?

I've added it to tools with unofficial packages at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Physics

You might try asking on debian-mentors for help getting the package
in. One comment is that a description "The Tango starter device" is
not helpful to someone who doesn't know what tango is. I might suggest
something like "tango-starter - Starter device for the TANGO
distributed control and data acquisition system"

Chris