Re: A great list of scientific software

Chris Walker <chrisw@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Frederic Lehobey wrote:
> >
> > >  I plan to add such several lists worth of interest to some wiki
> > > page.
> > >
> > >  By the way, with respect to Ubuntu-based efforts, notice there is
> > > also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuScience
> >
> The more complete e-mail I was going to send got lost when my
> connection dropped. If I find the time, I'll go through again, but
> here is the executive summary (as far as plotting tools).

And I've now checked all the way to the end, and only scigraphica and
qgis are in ubuntu and not lenny. Scigraphica has been removed because
it is unmaintained and dead upstream according to
http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/scigraphica/news/20070821T223947Z.html,
and qgis because it had lots of bugs - see

> There are some packages listed that are not in the corresponding
> debian metapackage. Plotting tools are particularly noticable for
> being in debian, but not in the viewing package.

There are also some interesting categories that don't correspond to
debian-science metapackages. Specifically Vector drawing tools, plot
digitizers (for extracting numbers from data you only have as a
graph), and distributed computing tools. Also, bibliography tools are
split out from typesetting.

> > Without having checked this: We might have good chances to list some
> > packages of them as inoffical packages in our tasks page.  Anybody
> > cares to verify?

So AFAICT, other than the two packages mentioned above, anything
packaged for ubuntu is also packaged for debian. It would be worth
adding some packages to the debian-science metapackages, and perhaps
also going through to find interesting software not packaged for
debian.

Chris