Re: pdfscreen -- latex presentation viewer

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 25.01.2006, 15:03 +0530 schrieb Kapil Hari Paranjape:
> > > I think the point being made is not "which is better" or "what are the
> > > best presentation alternatives"
> >
> > Is pdfscreen actually supported upstream?
> > Looking at
> > http://sarovar.org/projects/pdfscreen/
> > there are bugs from 2004 which have neither an answer nor a fix. And the
> > latest release will soon have its 3rd anniversary.
>
> This is not peculiar to "pdfscreen" since a number of LaTeX packages
> may be in a similar state regarding uploads and/or open bugs.
>
> The problem is: What does a user(*) who uses Debian and has a legacy
> LaTeX file that uses "pdfscreen" do?

Keeping in mind that those of us who use pdfscreen have found that there
either are no bugs that affect us, or we have worked around them.
Removing a package from debian that will keep on working until the heat
death of the universe is not necessary as long as there are no release
critical bugs opened against the package.  LaTeX is quite backwards
compatible.  Pdfscreen will keep on working for quite some time...

> b. Keep a local copy of pdfscreen.

I've gone for B.  Dunno how long this will continue to work for me

> Unfortunately, "scientists" are (in my experience) noticably reluctant
> to make such switches. I have colleagues who still use "epsfig" and
> not "graphics/x" for LaTeX graphics. Thankfully, tetex contains
> "epsfig.sty" which calls "graphicx" with appropriate options in order
> to help such users.

In our mind, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

Pdfscreen's only lacking currently seems to be a DD with time on their
hands.  Upstream have probably stopped working on it because it is
perfectly adequate for their needs.

--
TimC
DISCLAIMER: THIS DISCLAIMER IS NOT REQUIRED BY LEADER KIBO.  THIS ARTICLE