Re: pdfscreen -- latex presentation viewer

Hello,

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Thomas Weber wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 25.01.2006, 15:03 +0530 schrieb Kapil Hari Paranjape:
> > I think the point being made is not "which is better" or "what are the
> > best presentation alternatives"
>
> Is pdfscreen actually supported upstream?
> Looking at
> http://sarovar.org/projects/pdfscreen/
> there are bugs from 2004 which have neither an answer nor a fix. And the
> latest release will soon have its 3rd anniversary.

This is not peculiar to "pdfscreen" since a number of LaTeX packages
may be in a similar state regarding uploads and/or open bugs.

The problem is: What does a user(*) who uses Debian and has a legacy
LaTeX file that uses "pdfscreen" do?

a. Convert the file to use latex-beamer.

b. Keep a local copy of pdfscreen.

c. Depend on the Debian package of "pdfscreen".

In the case of most software (a) and (b) are good options.

Unfortunately, "scientists" are (in my experience) noticably reluctant
to make such switches. I have colleagues who still use "epsfig" and
not "graphics/x" for LaTeX graphics. Thankfully, tetex contains
"epsfig.sty" which calls "graphicx" with appropriate options in order
to help such users.

In order to offer the alternative (c), it may be good to have
"pdfscreen" in Debian.

Regards,

Kapil.

(*) The "user" is strictly hypothetical since I do not have such a
file.