Re: pdfscreen -- latex presentation viewer

Tim Connors <tconnors+debscience@astro.swin.edu.au> writes:

> Haven't used latex-beamer.

Give it a try.  Beamer + PGF for images and line art is a pretty
powerful combination.  There is a great example presentaion by Ki-Joo
Kim that runs 200+ pages and shows many of the features.

http://faq.ktug.or.kr/wiki/uploads/beamer_guide.pdf

> pdfscreen has nice navigation controls on the side of the pdf -- dunno
> whether latex-beamer can do that.  Adding navigation and launch buttons,
> colours, on the fly colour themes (works well when you discover that the
> projector you are going to be displaying on has a dying faded tube), works
> well with ppower4 post processor

No on-the-fly color scheme changes but the rest can be done with
beamer.  You can change color schemes with a quick edit and
re-compile.

> Personally, pdfscreen is better then latex-beamer because my presentations
> have been customised to work with pdfscreen :)

Well, that is certanily a hard point to argue!

I've never done more than look into pdfscreen so I can't say much
about it.  Except for one experiment with a groff based presentation
maker, a few excruciatingly painful GUIs (OpenOffice and PowerPoint,
I'm looking at you!) and an occasional skribe compilation I've always
used latex.  I went from "slides" to "seminar" to "prosper" and now
use "beamer" exclusively.  To me each was an exponential improvement
on the previous.

-Brett.