Re: RFS: ohai gem2deb transition

Tollef Fog Heen escreveu isso aí:
> ]] Antonio Terceiro
>
> > Another possibility -- probably better than basing off the existing
> > source package -- is to gem2deb the current upstream version, import
> > that into git, and then pull the relevant bits from the old packaging,
> > in special debian/copyright, bit from debian/control, manpages, etc ...
>
> Yeah, except I probably want to use upstream git rather than just
> gem2deb.  Makes cherry-picking from upstream easier if my tree is based
> on their tree.

The problem with basing off upstream git is that there's a lot of noise
in the commit traffic, i.e. a lot of upstream commits, and that makes it
a little harder to follow the activity.

At the time when this was discussed we kind of agreed of importing
release tarballs instead (I was working off upstream git for some
package already and started importing tarballs on to of that instead).

For cherry-picking, I do `git format-patch` in the upstream repo then
`git am -3` in the packaging repo.

> It would then, theoretically, be possible to use git-svn and graft the
> bits of the svn tree onto the git tree, but it's probably not worth the
> effort.  Less work to just drop the current packaging on top and then
> drop the gem2deb based packaging in instead of that.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yeah, I guess having gem2deb (dh-make-ruby, actually) create the
packaging and thenm cherry picking relevant bits from the old packaging
is easier.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>