Re: RFS: ohai gem2deb transition

Tollef Fog Heen escreveu isso aí:
> ]] Antonio Terceiro
>
> > Nice! I am willing to help with this, do you want to comaintain it
> > inside the Ruby team?
>
> Sure, that'd work fine for me.
>
> I need to make sure it works well on various Ubuntu versions and squeeze
> too, but that should be doable-ish.
>
> > I though about first asking the Opscode people, or to look at their
> > Debian package sources, to see whether we can minimize our effort to get
> > newest chef* packages on sid.
>
> Yeah, I'm basing my work off their packages, but for some of those we're
> already in a bit of a mess, since there's the opscode-packages repo
> which contains the debian/ dir for some of the packages uploaded to
> Debian, and there's the svn stuff in pkg-ruby-extras.  In addition,
> there's obviously the stuff from upstream too.
>
> I'm tempted to just drop the git/svn history and import the sources and
> work from that.  At least with a pointer to older history, not that much
> is lost and it's more important to spend manpower on fixing the current
> packages than looking back, IMO.

We are migrating from svn to git, and we are doing it exactly that: we
just import the current source packages into git and leave svn behind.

Another possibility -- probably better than basing off the existing
source package -- is to gem2deb the current upstream version, import
that into git, and then pull the relevant bits from the old packaging,
in special debian/copyright, bit from debian/control, manpages, etc ...

Occasionally I go over to the svn repository and delete the packages
to mark that they do not belong there anymore.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>