Re: Consider publishing packages snapshots to support distroless images

On Tue, 2023-03-28 at 18:01 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> It is not trivial (because I expect that the release team may not want
> to do the work themselves), but there is also the option of releasing
> a semi-official debian-riscv64 bookworm some time after the release of
> the other architectures. We did it for the first amd64 release.

This wouldn't be security supported though, unless maybe the blockers
for having ports.d.o run dak can be overcome.

> But again, the first step will be to have riscv64 in the archive *AND*
> have all packages rebuilt by official build daemons.

The next steps are listed on the new port instructions page:

https://wiki.debian.org/PortsDocs/New#Official_port

The status of hardware hosting is that Aurelien Jarno as DSA tried to
contact one of the existing Debian hosters in Europe on 2023-02-16 but
there was no response. Probably DSA need to escalate this discussion.
The machines in the USA will remain where they are and will be
reinstalled during the process of the riscv64 port becoming official.
Probably the EU machines will get installed during that process too.

The porters need to file a bug against ftp.debian.org asking for
inclusion of riscv64 in the unstable architectures, citing the port's
provisional approval by the ftp-masters, sysadmin and release teams and
linking to documentation of the port's status and qualifications.

Once the hardware is setup at the EU hoster and the architecture is
added to unstable, then the process of becoming official can proceed.

PS: please keep the status page up to date as things change:

https://wiki.debian.org/Ports/riscv64

--
bye,
pabs