Re: Bits from the release team: Release goals, schedule, state of the union

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
>> Or is the second step in this release goal of actually using the new source
>> format for all (or at least a lot?) packages?
>
> Yes. I'd like to achieve this by changing dpkg-source to build 3.0 (quilt)
> or 3.0 (native) source packages by default (generating a source package
> using the old format would then require putting "1.0" in
> debian/source/format).
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Raphaël Hertzog

Is that actualy a release goal for squeeze?

If so then I would prefer if that where stated specifically and
seperately to the goal of allowing 3.0 source packages at all.

Allowing 3.0 format is long overdue imho and from what has been told
just needs patches to be applied to DAK to b completed.

Changing packages I believe will happen naturally after that and I
would rather see a gradual adoption of the new format than brute
forcing maintainer to change their packages before squeeze. The new
format has enough advantages to stand on its own. Change dh_make and
other package creating helpers so new packages default to 3.0 (quilt).

Since blindly changing dpkg-source to use 3.0 format breaks packages
maybe a better change would be to make a missing debian/source/format
first a warning and then an error. But maybe that is just me.

MfG
        Goswin