Re: Bits from the release team: Release goals, schedule, state of the union

Matthijs Kooijman <matthijs@stdin.nl> writes:
>>  - New source package format:
>>     Make it possible to build all packages using dpkg source format
>>     3.0 (quilt).
> This seems like something that requires packagers to take some action, or at
> least check their packages for this possibility? However, I've never heard
> about this new "source format" until now. Did I miss something,

You missed something:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00004.html

> A quick read of the dpkg-source manpage about the source format 3 didn't
> really help my understanding of what would be required to attain this goal.
> Could you elaborate a bit? Perhaps in the next update?

The documentation for all goals is reachable from the release goal list
I referenced in the bits mail [1], in this case you can find more
information on http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/NewDebFormats
There are links to a description of the new format as well as pointers
to bugs filed for known problems.

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  http://release.debian.org/squeeze/goals.txt
--
BOFH #154:
You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish (from most