Re: Bits from the release team: Release goals, schedule, state of the union

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:18:05AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> You missed several announces on debian-devel-announce (you are supposed to
> be subscribed and reading) and a status update on -devel recently.

Ah, thanks. From reading there, and the other pointers you've given, I
understand that this release goal is mostly focused on applications that work
with source packages (dpkg, apt, svn-buildpackage, etc.), not on changing
"regular" packages to (be able to) use the new source formats.

I had expected changes to be required in all packages, which is why I didn't
remember that particular announcement (I had read it and concluded it did not
affect my package).

I think the source of my confusion was (and is) caused by use of the phrase
"all packages" in the release goal "Have all packages in the archive buildable
using the new source package formats.". Perhaps phrasing it as "Having the
archive and all package-support tools support the new source package formats"
would be better?

Or is the second step in this release goal of actually using the new source
format for all (or at least a lot?) packages?

Thanks for your time!

Matthijs