Re: [Debian GNUstep maintainers] GNUstep libraries soname bump

[Removing bug #487641 from the Cc: list because it's not relevant]

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:06:47 +0100 Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es>
wrote:

> Okay. So, two things. First, that I'm sure you're aware that's a
> serious bug that ought to be fixed. I don't want to put pressure on
> you, since I realize the potential for breakage is slow. But it'd be
> nice to solve it some time. Isn't just linking to the GNUstep
> libraries as a Debian patch an option? [Insert here sentence about
> how I'm obsessed with XKCD #276.]

Yup, it's been on my (far too big) todo list for a long time.  There
are also a few linkages that the GNUstep make system pulls in that can
be dropped.  Yavor, if you can provide patches at least for the
serious bugs (the missing dependencies), that would be very much
appreciated.  I think most of the packages are in our arch repository,
so you can commit directly if you want.  Or if you'd rather, just send
it to me, and I'll apply them.

> Second, the above means we have to either to skip poppler.framework
> from the initial set of Bin-NMUs, but that's messy since other
> packages depend on it; or to allow it to migrate to testing and
> possibly break GNUstep in testing; or to temporarily break it in
> testing, and rebuild it against the new poppler there; or to
> reconsider whether GNUstep should wait that the poppler transition
> finishes, but I don't want to do that.

I guess that depends on how far along the poppler transition is.

I think that the only packages that depend on popplerkit.framework are
vindaloo (a.k.a. viewpdf.app) and gworkspace.  And IIRC, nothing
depends on vindaloo or gworkspace, other than the gnustep
meta-packages.

Another option could be to temporarily remove popplerkit.framework and
its reverse dependencies from squeeze so that it won't hold up the
transitions.  I don't know how the release team feels about that, or
the rest of the GNUstep team, but it's early enough in the release cycle
that I personally am not worried about popplerkit getting stuck in sid.

> Could you check if a popplerkit.framework rebuilt against the new
> libraries breaks when used against the current set of packages in
> testing and unstable?

I'm already stretched pretty thin as it is, so if someone on the
GNUstep team could try that, it would be very much appreciated.

--
Hubert Chathi <uhoreg@debian.org> -- Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA         http://www.uhoreg.ca/