Re: GNUstep libraries soname bump

* Hubert Chathi [Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:49:09 -0500]:

Hola, Hubert. Please read all of this mail carefully until the end.

> As it is shortly after a stable release, it seems to be a popular time
> now to break packages, and the GNUstep team wants in on the action.

> The new GNUstep core packages bump the soname, which means that all
> GNUstep packages need to be rebuilt.  They should all be able to be
> handled by binNMUs.

> Is there anything that we should be aware of and/or wait for before
> uploading the new packages?  (I know that it will be block by the
> libraw1394 transition because one of the build-depends tries to pull in
> that package.)  Or can we go ahead with the transition?

> P.S. The GNUstep packages can be downloaded from:
>   http://debian.uhoreg.ca/experimental/gnustep/

Okay, let's see. From that URL, I get that the set of disappeared
binaries (which is what matters to us) is:

    gnustep-back0.14
    gnustep-back0.14-art
    gnustep-back0.14-cairo
    libgnustep-gui0.14
    libgnustep-base1.16
    libgnustep-base1.16-libffi

Please correct me if I've left anything out, it is very important for
transition planning.

This transition is tied to the ffmpeg-debian transition via lynkeos.app.
I think it's a pity you can't start working on an otherwise very isolated
transition because of that, but at the same time I don't want to make
ffmpeg wait on GNUstep.

So, what I'm going to propose, is that you go forward with this
transition, but only once lynkeos.app has been rebuilt against the new
ffmpeg in all architectures. At the moment, it is failing everywhere
because of #487641.

Once a fix for #487641 is in unstable, and built in all architectures,
you may go forward with this transition. However, when scheduling
Bin-NMUs, I will skip lynkeos.app until the ffmpeg transition is done
(as to not tie them together). However, and as to not leave lynkeos.app
broken in unstable too long, if the ffmpeg transition looks far from
ready when scheduling GNUstep Bin-NMUs, I will not skip it, and solve it
some other way.

Does this sound acceptable to you? Please do not upload new GNUstep
components to unstable until we've cleared up together that lynkeos.app
is fixed everywhere. Uploading to experimental is fine, of course, and
that will allow you clearing NEW while lynkeos.app sorts itself out.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Hay quien sueña con la alquimia
que haga del vicio virtud