Re: [Debian GNUstep maintainers] GNUstep libraries soname bump

* Yavor Doganov [Sun, 08 Mar 2009 19:23:28 +0200]:

> Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > So, now my question is: what happens if you rebuild those three
> > packages against the new GNUstep libraries, and they migrate to
> > testing on their own, before said base libraries and the rest of the
> > migrated packages?

> This has happened before (i.e. they almost always migrate first on
> their own because there is a bug or two in the rest of the GNUstep
> packages that we discover during the transition).  It depends.  If the
> new GNUstep libraries are compatible [1], everything is working
> properly.  If they are not, some packages are temporarily broken in
> testing until the rest of the GNUstep stack migrates.

Okay. So, two things. First, that I'm sure you're aware that's a serious
bug that ought to be fixed. I don't want to put pressure on you, since I
realize the potential for breakage is slow. But it'd be nice to solve it
some time. Isn't just linking to the GNUstep libraries as a Debian patch
an option? [Insert here sentence about how I'm obsessed with XKCD #276.]

Second, the above means we have to either to skip poppler.framework from
the initial set of Bin-NMUs, but that's messy since other packages depend
on it; or to allow it to migrate to testing and possibly break GNUstep in
testing; or to temporarily break it in testing, and rebuild it against the
new poppler there; or to reconsider whether GNUstep should wait that the
poppler transition finishes, but I don't want to do that.

Could you check if a popplerkit.framework rebuilt against the new
libraries breaks when used against the current set of packages in
testing and unstable?

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
                -- George Bernard Shaw