Re: Upload of GNOME 2.6 to unstable

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:55:42PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:17:57AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:20:52PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > Also, I don't see why you would want to manually specify what stuff to
> > > take from unstable instead of experimental? Isn't build-depends meant
> > > for that?
> > I don't think it'd work without lots of effort -- selecting packages
> > from a suite needs to be done explicitly rather than by a build-depends
> > afaics; happy to be proven wrong though.
> I was thinking about versioned build-depends, which would work only if
> experimental wouldn't shift too much between the time of upload and the
> time of build.

Sure, I was thinking the same; but given:

	foo | 1.0-1 | i386 | unstable
	bar | 1.0-1 | i386 | unstable
	foo | 2.0-1 | i386 | experimental
	bar | 2.0-1 | i386 | experimental

I didn't think you could get:

	Build-Depends: foo (>= 1.0-1), bar (>= 2.0-1)

to install foo from unstable and bar from experimental without writing
some apt-ish logic of your own. I'm happy to be proven wrong, though: if
it already works, that's great.

Having an email that says:

	Build: baz 3.0-0pre3
	Dsc-Size-MD5: 2341 da362d749976851a61571238cfe31f09
	Target-Release:
		bar experimental

otoh would be pretty easy to deal with: check the explicitly listed
packages (apt-get install bar/experimental), then satisfy remaining
build-depends from unstable in the normal way, unpack the .dsc, build it,
mail the maintainer when it's done, and make the .debs, logs, .changes
and ideally a tarred copy of the final build directory available via
http for review and possible upload.

That's not regular auto building obviously -- it's not automatic for one.
It'd be a good complement to what we've already got though, I think,
and a good fit for experimental packages.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.

Protect Open Source in Australia from over-reaching changes to IP law
http://www.petitiononline.com/auftaip/ & http://www.linux.org.au/fta/