Re: shortening release cycles

Admittedly I am not a developer and have only been a tester so maybe
I am "out of line here" but taking the risk anyway...

Some portions of the distribution such as boot floppies can not be
created until after much of the rest of the distribution is frozen.

In practice (as I have seen it) some portions of the frozen dist. are
"more frozen" than others but formally they are not.

Would it be useful then to formalize a "system" of sequential freezing?