Re: shortening release cycles

Bill Leach <bleach@bellsouth.net> writes:

> Some portions of the distribution such as boot floppies can not be
> created until after much of the rest of the distribution is frozen.

I don't think this is true; all that is necessary is that the base
system works.  Anyhow, most of the boot-floppies todo has nothing to
do with any stuff outside of boot-floppies itself.

It's true that the CD system might be wonky without a system with
self-consistency, in terms of dependancy systems and such.

> In practice (as I have seen it) some portions of the frozen dist. are
> "more frozen" than others but formally they are not.
>
> Would it be useful then to formalize a "system" of sequential freezing?

I guess, but would that stretch out the process rather than shorten it?