Re: R 3.5.0 on April 23 -- new r-api-3.5 and full rebuilds needed

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 02:38:30PM -0400, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Mar 21, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> > This proposed scheme does not help for the case where we have to rebuild both
> > arch:any and arch:all. But it helps when only arch:any need rebuilds (as for
> > the R 3.4 transition).
>
> Query - is it strictly necessary for us to have a hard dependency on
> the r-api-x.y version in the arch:all packages? My understanding is
> these should only have R/S code in them, and the R language is pretty
> stable, so unless there's a backward-incompatible change in the core
> language (like fundamental changes in syntax, like getting rid of the
> legacy "_"-as-assignment was) can't we just rely on a standard minimum
> dependency on R (>= 3.4.0-1)?

Even though arch:all packages ship only R code, they still get bytecompiled
(into .rds file), so there is a potentially an ABI-compatibility issue if that
format changes.

Still, the ABI tracking for arch:all is very different from that for arch:any,
so this could justify using two different ABI-like pseudo-packages, as I
advocated earlier in this thread.

> Obviously this wouldn't help with the 3.5 transition but it would
> dramatically simplify things for future ones if we could go ahead and
> remove the r-api-x.y dependencies in arch:all packages while doing
> the 3.5 transition, assuming there's not something I'm missing
> here. All we'd need to do is adjust the arch:all packages to use a
> different substvar omitting r-api-x.y, which is a little more work
> than a manual rebuild but probably could be automated to some extent.

I agree that *right now* is the ideal timing to implement a change in the ABI
tracking machinery, since we are going to update all packages if a few weeks.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer