Re: R 3.5.0 on April 23 -- new r-api-3.5 and full rebuilds needed

Hi Seb,

On 20 March 2018 at 22:48, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
| On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 12:55:20PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|
| > So R 3.5.0 was just announced, and it will (AFAIK) require a full rebuild of
| > packages as an important internal change is coming ("ALTREP").
| >
| > We effectively had a dry run for this last year (when we didn't need it for
| > all packages, but nevertheless applied it to all).  That worked pretty well
| > so I don't expect big problems.
| >
| > If anybody is interested in helping me liase with ftpmasters and other powers
| > that be, drop me a line off-list.  We still have plenty of time, and I think
| > I will upload alpha/beta/rc versions to experimental.
|
| The coordination of this transition has to be done with the Release Team
| (ftpmasters are not involved).

My bad. I should have checked.

| The steps are the following:
|
| 1. You upload r-base 3.5 to experimental (bumping the ABI number, i.e.
|    r-base-core should now Provide r-api-3.5).
|
| 2. We open a bug against the pseudo-package release.debian.org, asking for a
|    transition slot. The bug should describe the change and the packages that
|    need to be rebuilt.
|
| 3. Wait until the Release Team allow you to start the transition. When they
|    give their green light, you upload r-base 3.5 to unstable.
|
| 4. When R is built on all release architectures, the Release Team will trigger
|    the automatic rebuilding of arch:any reverse dependencies.
|
| 5. My understanding is that arch:all reverse dependencies will also need to be
|    rebuilt, because they depend on the pseudo-package r-api-3.4; unfortunately,
|    arch:all packages cannot be rebuilt automatically, they have to be
|    source-uploaded by hand, which is a lot of manual work.
|
| 6. When everything is rebuilt, r-base 3.5 will migrate to testing.

Great summary.

| I am willing to help with step 2, and possibly with step 5.

I don't recall what we did with 5. and arch:all.  If it really is a manual
step, that would suck. (But then recall my email; at least we get the
bytecode compiler benefit out of it.)

| Basically, tell me when you have completed step 1 (upload to experimental), and
| we can get in touch with the Release Team.

Sure thing. I'll try to remember to come back here early-to-mid April when
the alpha releases of R 3.5.0 start.

Thanks!

Dirk

--