Re: R 3.5.0 on April 23 -- new r-api-3.5 and full rebuilds needed

On Mar 21, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> This proposed scheme does not help for the case where we have to rebuild both
> arch:any and arch:all. But it helps when only arch:any need rebuilds (as for
> the R 3.4 transition).

Query - is it strictly necessary for us to have a hard dependency on
the r-api-x.y version in the arch:all packages? My understanding is
these should only have R/S code in them, and the R language is pretty
stable, so unless there's a backward-incompatible change in the core
language (like fundamental changes in syntax, like getting rid of the
legacy "_"-as-assignment was) can't we just rely on a standard minimum
dependency on R (>= 3.4.0-1)?

Obviously this wouldn't help with the 3.5 transition but it would
dramatically simplify things for future ones if we could go ahead and
remove the r-api-x.y dependencies in arch:all packages while doing
the 3.5 transition, assuming there's not something I'm missing
here. All we'd need to do is adjust the arch:all packages to use a
different substvar omitting r-api-x.y, which is a little more work
than a manual rebuild but probably could be automated to some extent.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> - http://blog.lordsutch.com/