Re: R 3.5.0 on April 23 -- new r-api-3.5 and full rebuilds needed

Hi Dirk,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 12:55:20PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> So R 3.5.0 was just announced, and it will (AFAIK) require a full rebuild of
> packages as an important internal change is coming ("ALTREP").
>
> We effectively had a dry run for this last year (when we didn't need it for
> all packages, but nevertheless applied it to all).  That worked pretty well
> so I don't expect big problems.
>
> If anybody is interested in helping me liase with ftpmasters and other powers
> that be, drop me a line off-list.  We still have plenty of time, and I think
> I will upload alpha/beta/rc versions to experimental.

The coordination of this transition has to be done with the Release Team
(ftpmasters are not involved).

The steps are the following:

1. You upload r-base 3.5 to experimental (bumping the ABI number, i.e.
   r-base-core should now Provide r-api-3.5).

2. We open a bug against the pseudo-package release.debian.org, asking for a
   transition slot. The bug should describe the change and the packages that
   need to be rebuilt.

3. Wait until the Release Team allow you to start the transition. When they
   give their green light, you upload r-base 3.5 to unstable.

4. When R is built on all release architectures, the Release Team will trigger
   the automatic rebuilding of arch:any reverse dependencies.

5. My understanding is that arch:all reverse dependencies will also need to be
   rebuilt, because they depend on the pseudo-package r-api-3.4; unfortunately,
   arch:all packages cannot be rebuilt automatically, they have to be
   source-uploaded by hand, which is a lot of manual work.

6. When everything is rebuilt, r-base 3.5 will migrate to testing.

I am willing to help with step 2, and possibly with step 5.

Basically, tell me when you have completed step 1 (upload to experimental), and
we can get in touch with the Release Team.

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer