Re: R 3.5.0 on April 23 -- new r-api-3.5 and full rebuilds needed

On 21 March 2018 at 14:26, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
| On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 08:19:12AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > On 21 March 2018 at 10:38, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
| > | On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 05:14:04PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | For the R 3.4 transition, this work was done by Andreas Tille, Graham Inggs and
| > | myself IIRC; we collectively did several dozens of uploads of arch:all
| > | CRAN/BioC packages.
| >
| > Sure, and so did I with my few dozen r-cran-* package with arch:all.
|
| Actually, no, I NMU'ed them all.

My bad.

| > If at some point you can think of a more manageable and automated way that
| > passes muster with the release team let me know. ;-)
| >
| > The r-api-x.y tag was supposed to take care of this, and only does it
| > partially.  Better than nothing, yet still not as good as we need it to be.
|
| If arch:all packages have to be rebuilt, there's nothing that we can do to
| improve the process, since this has to be solved at the level of Debian
| infrastructure (but I think people are working on it, so one day it may be
| possible to rebuild them).

Good news then, eventually.

| What we could however do at our level is to have two virtual packages instead
| of one (r-api-x.y). One of the virtual package would be for arch:any, the other
| one for arch:all, so that we could increment one and not the other if only
| arch:any have to be rebuilt. But in any case, it is too late for this specific
| transition.

I can see how we add another virtual package; I do not see what that would
allow what the current one cannot due to 'Debian infrastructure'.  Anyway,
too late for R 3.5.0 as you say.

The schedule is now on developer.r-project.org:

  Friday 2018-03-23: START
  Monday 2018-03-26: GRAND-FEATURE FREEZE (3.5.0 alpha)
  Monday 2018-04-09: FEATURE FREEZE (3.5.0 beta)
  Monday 2018-04-16: CODE FREEZE (3.5.0 RC)
  Friday 2018-04-20: PRERELEASE
  Monday 2018-04-23: RELEASE (3.5.0)

I guess I can start with experimental uploads around the beta release, rc at
the latest.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org