Re: R 3.5.0 on April 23 -- new r-api-3.5 and full rebuilds needed

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 08:36:14AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> | What we could however do at our level is to have two virtual packages instead
> | of one (r-api-x.y). One of the virtual package would be for arch:any, the other
> | one for arch:all, so that we could increment one and not the other if only
> | arch:any have to be rebuilt. But in any case, it is too late for this specific
> | transition.
>
> I can see how we add another virtual package; I do not see what that would
> allow what the current one cannot due to 'Debian infrastructure'.  Anyway,
> too late for R 3.5.0 as you say.

This proposed scheme does not help for the case where we have to rebuild both
arch:any and arch:all. But it helps when only arch:any need rebuilds (as for
the R 3.4 transition).

> The schedule is now on developer.r-project.org:
>
>   Friday 2018-03-23: START
>   Monday 2018-03-26: GRAND-FEATURE FREEZE (3.5.0 alpha)
>   Monday 2018-04-09: FEATURE FREEZE (3.5.0 beta)
>   Monday 2018-04-16: CODE FREEZE (3.5.0 RC)
>   Friday 2018-04-20: PRERELEASE
>   Monday 2018-04-23: RELEASE (3.5.0)
>
> I guess I can start with experimental uploads around the beta release, rc at
> the latest.

Sounds good, looking forward to it.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot