Re: What to do with the "Upstream info" links in the PTS and the packages-metadata branch in collab-qa ?

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 09:56:11AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > I can not parse this?  The UDD gatherer is not using
> > upstream-metadata.debian.net.  It is rather reading Git repositories of
> > selected Blends teams (formerly on Alioth now rewritten for Salsa[1]).
> > The UDD gatherer consumes more data than only debian/upstream/metadata
> > but also about prospective packages.  It does not depend from
> > umegaya nor upstream-metadata.debian.net.
>
> I was mislead by udd/upstream_reader.py from UDD saying it uses
> upstream-metadata.debian.net, probably that comment needs to be
> removed.

I've updated the comment in Git[1].  Hope this avoids wrong assumptions
in the future and sorry for being that sloppy with docs. :-(

> > May be vcswatch and fetch-machine-readable_salsa[1] should be merged.
> > I'm pretty sure that there is a lot room for enhancement at least for
> > the latter.
>
> Possibly, but you mentioned the latter also scans packages not yet in
> Debian so the vcswatch maintainer would have to be convinced that
> feature is a good idea.

May be we should at least start talking about it.  DebConf 18 could be
a good opportunity for this.

> > For the Blends purpose Contents-source files are not sufficient since
> > also Vcs of non-released packages is read and we consume always latest
> > changes from Git and not from possibly way outdated uploaded packages.
>
> Not every package has a VCS (and some never will) and some of those
> have upstream metadata files, so Contents-source scanning is needed
> anyway.

I'm very picky about having those Blends related packages in VCS to have
at least those upstream files where the concept was invented for
(bibliographic references) in VCS.  But you are definitely correct that
there are packages with upstream files outside VCS (and if you ask me
its a shame ;-) ).

Kind regards

     Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/qa/udd/commit/a6a9c3bebbba4ce9f08307aeea00b433466f5070