Re: What to do with the "Upstream info" links in the PTS and the packages-metadata branch in collab-qa ?

Paul Wise wrote:
> If someone revives this service, this approach missed packages that do
> not use a VCS. This could be worked around by the addition of fetching
> from source packages when there is no VCS. The VCS should be preferred
> since source packages don't need to be updated immediately when
> upstream metadata changes.

or looking at Contents-source.gz and linking to sources.debian.net. (or
asking ftp-master to export these files like they do with changelogs,
copyright files etc.)

Are there any other consumers of these files?

If there are no longer any consumers, should we really be nagging
maintainers to include them?

$ lintian-info --list-tags | grep upstream-metadata
upstream-metadata-file-is-missing
upstream-metadata-is-not-a-file
upstream-metadata-yaml-invalid

While the last two still make sense (if the file is there, make sure it is
valid), does the first one? I've never been a fan of lintian suggesting that
maintainers add a file that for most(?) packages, is not going to contain
anything that is not duplicated information from elsewhere in the package.

(If there are other users of this information, great...)

Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott    http://www.nanonanonano.net/   stuart@nanonanonano.net
Debian Developer   http://www.debian.org/         stuart@debian.org