Re: What to do with the "Upstream info" links in the PTS and the packages-metadata branch in collab-qa ?

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:

> I was a bit over-zealous and cleaned the Alioth repository recently, but
> the source is still on <https://umegaya.branchable.com/> and I can
> transfer it to Salsa if there is interest.

Branchable is missing a few of the commits from alioth.

> The Debian Med team includes upstream information from these files
> in its "tasks" pages (see <https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio>
> for example), using the UDD as a gatherer.

This is using upstream-metadata.debian.net, seems like it will need
updating if a replacement shows up.

> Indeed, it would be great if we could signal to our users where to
> gratify the upstream authors, and I have been hoping that the
> upstream-metadata could be helpful for this

I filed a bug about that here:

https://bugs.debian.org/777306

> But maybe this is more the scope of AppStream

AppStream includes donation URLs:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Metadata.html#tag-url

I don't think AppStream is aimed at everything, for example libraries
or command-line tools aren't going to have them.

> <https://appstream.debian.org/> ?

This is more developer-oriented than user-oriented, I think we would
need apps.debian.org for a user-oriented view of Debian's AppStream
meta-data.

This would be my proposal (I won't volunteer) for replacing
upstream-metadata.debian.net:

Update vcswatch to scan each repo for upstream metadata files and
export those. Update the UDD gatherer to use the Contents-source files
from the local mirror and extract upstream metadata files. Update the
UDD gatherer to import the vcswatch results too.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise