Re: What to do with the "Upstream info" links in the PTS and the packages-metadata branch in collab-qa ?

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 4:02 PM, Stuart Prescott wrote:

> or looking at Contents-source.gz and linking to sources.debian.net. (or
> asking ftp-master to export these files like they do with changelogs,
> copyright files etc.)

Good idea. vcswatch could take over the VCS scanning too.

> Are there any other consumers of these files?

No services, but potentially tracker.d.o and packages.d.o.

People interacting with the source package might use them.

> If there are no longer any consumers, should we really be nagging
> maintainers to include them?

I think they are useful even if no services touch them.

> While the last two still make sense (if the file is there, make sure it is
> valid), does the first one? I've never been a fan of lintian suggesting that
> maintainers add a file that for most(?) packages, is not going to contain
> anything that is not duplicated information from elsewhere in the package.

The main value is aggregating the information and standardising it,
within upstream codebases the info could be in DOAP files or READMEs
or README.foo or HACKING etc. Some things like fundraising might only
be on the upstream website.

--
bye,
pabs