Re: What to do with the "Upstream info" links in the PTS and the packages-metadata branch in collab-qa ?

On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 06:02:36PM +1000, Stuart Prescott wrote:
> Are there any other consumers of these files?

Definitely.

> If there are no longer any consumers, should we really be nagging
> maintainers to include them?
>
> $ lintian-info --list-tags | grep upstream-metadata
> upstream-metadata-file-is-missing
> upstream-metadata-is-not-a-file
> upstream-metadata-yaml-invalid
>
> While the last two still make sense (if the file is there, make sure it is
> valid), does the first one?

I agree that the first one is not needed.

> I've never been a fan of lintian suggesting that
> maintainers add a file that for most(?) packages, is not going to contain
> anything that is not duplicated information from elsewhere in the package.
>
> (If there are other users of this information, great...)

The file debian/upstream/metadata is described in wiki[1].  The
definition was cleaned up to not contain redundant information
any more.  Several of its data (Reference, Registry and others)
are read and injected into UDD.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata