Re: BugSquash Party this sunday || xinetd adoption

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 09:34:57PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:

> > > I alrady thaught something like that, but I'm suprised that after two
> > > weeks this tag still exists. Seems like many maintainer are a bit too
> > > lazy. Or why should this tag be still there?
>
> > They either didn't respond with anything useful yet, or dark hasn't yet
>
> And what would you call useful?

"I will fix this using <some method>, tomorrow", or "there is no solution
to this, it's an upstream feature", or "I need help with this" or...

> > updated the comments file with their answers.
>
> Which I don't think, because he seems to care to much about debian and
> the release.

You may care the world about Debian and the release, but if you aren't
online 24 hours a day there will be times when you simply aren't reading
mail and don't know anyone answered your mails. :)

> > I think it's okay to let the "already contacted" comments in there, at
> > least so that people know that somebody cares, and to put pressure on
> > the maintainers themselves :)
>
> You call this pressure? Strangely it seems to be no pressure as the
> maintainer don't react on this tag. So I wouldn't call it pressure in
> any way.

Maybe I'm just weird, but when your name is tagged to something that says
"He was contacted long days ago" (without mentioning any answers) and "His
work will be removed unless he fixes it"... it sure made me feel uneasy
when I was in question (twice, for two days :)

Anyway, this chat is not being very useful :)

I'm pondering of adopting xinetd, because I find the program very useful,
and the package not finished. However, its maintainer hasn't contacted us
for months now, and he has takedn part in some other dubious activities
(contact me privately for details, this isn't a private list), and I had to
(IMHO) mark it orphaned. If I adopt it now (no one else expressed any
interest in adopting it), it might look like I did all that for dishonest
reasons... which wouldn't be true, of course... but I'm having second
thoughts on how people might react.

What do you all think?

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name