Re: Using pristine-tar

On 10/13/2014 06:14 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> In practice, I haven't seen any problems with pristine-tar.  And given that
> archive uploads still currently require a tarball, and PyPI releases are
> overwhelmingly tarball-based, I think it still makes sense for DPMT to
> continue to use pristine-tar workflows by default.

In practice as well, I roughly estimate that 95% of upstream authors are
these days using Git. Since we decided to use pristine-tar, I'll do
that, but I still think it's the wrong choice, especially if you can
find an upstream publicly accessible Git repo, and since we already know
that pristine-tar is broken.

So, just generating the orig.tar.xz from upstream Git tag, in practice,
does the same thing as pristine-tar, except that you *know* you have to
take past orig.tar.xz from the Debian archive, always, instead of
discovering that pristine-tar lead to issues.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)