Re: Using pristine-tar

Le Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:42:56AM +0800, Thomas Goirand a écrit :

> So, just generating the orig.tar.xz from upstream Git tag, in practice,
> does the same thing as pristine-tar, except that you *know* you have to
> take past orig.tar.xz from the Debian archive, always, instead of
> discovering that pristine-tar lead to issues.

Hi Thomas,

this is two separate questions:

 - The source of the tarball: upstream or generated by the maintainer.

 - Making the tarball reproducible off-line with pristine-tar.

I you generate a orig.tar.xz by yourself, then you can (or have to if it is the
packaging team's requirement) register it with the command “pristine-tar
<path-to-the-tarball> <git-tag>”.  Since it is not much work, I thing that it
is fair to ask people to do it even if personally they do not use it.

Also, if one happens to forget (which I of course do not encourage), another
person working on the package can just download the source package from the
Debian archive, and register the tarball in the pristine-tar branch with the
command above.

Pristine-tar is much about preparing a package update while not having access
to the Debian archive at the same time.  Two' invokations of git-archive will
not necessary generate byte-identical tarballs.  However, when updating only
the Debian part of a packags, one needs an identical copy of the tarball
already present in the Debian archive, or at the very least its MD5 sum.

As you see pristine-tar can be more usful to some than to others, but
altogether it is easy and not much involving.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,