Re: "search.html doesn't look like a Sphinx search page"

Il giorno sab, 25/02/2012 alle 08.25 +0800, Paul Wise ha scritto:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Pietro Battiston wrote:
>
> > If there is consensus (and I guess it would be good to find it), I
> > wasn't able to detect it...
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/05/msg00194.html
> >
> > Notice I _did_ provide locally some javascript libraries which (the
> > upstream downloads remotely, and which) are required for the
> > functionality of the documentation.
>
> I would say that Debian Policy 2.2.1 constitutes consensus:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-main
>
> Please report RC bugs where you find this issue.

Maybe I misunderstood you Paul, but

1) I think I followed what the policy states precisely in the fact that
I provided locally javascript libraries which were _required_ for
browsing the documentation. That's not the issue on which I beg for
consensus.

2) Google Analytics is certainly not required (strictly speaking, it
doesn't even enhance the documentation browsing experience), and in
particular it can't be provided locally

3) on the other hand, if Google Analytics, and more in general remotely
downloaded javascript libraries, are considered a "dependency", then
web browsers should not be in main. Instead they are (and users are
free to block remote javascripts).

I want to make clear that I do not oppose the view that Google
Analytics should be stripped off from documentation... I'm just saying
that as far as I understand the policy doesn't state that. _Also_
because it doesn't mention the privacy issue (and for instance the .js
which is the subject of bug #637580 _could_ be provided locally, and
that wouldn't entirely solve the bug according to the submitter).

thanks for any clarifications

Pietro