Re: Python talks at DebConf

I know I'm a broken record on this, and I (currently ;) have very little power
to do much about it other than *talk*, but...

On May 11, 2010, at 10:18 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>Why am I mentioning Ubuntu at all? Because all decisions about Python in
>Debian are made there.

My own personal hope is that *decisions* about Python that affect Debian and
Ubuntu are made here, even if the implementation, and timing of the
availability of those decisions, come in Ubuntu first.  I think that's an
important distinction to make.

These kinds of skew problems stem, IMHO, from the fundamentally different
release cycles of upstream Python, Debian, and Ubuntu.  Python releases new
versions "when ready" but approximately time-based to every 18 months.  Debian
releases strictly "when ready"[1], and Ubuntu releases every 6 months.  These
are very difficult differences to reconcile.

-Barry

[1] Please do not read into this any implied judgement about the different
cycles.