Re: Proposed update to the python policy

[Steve Langasek, 24.03.2007]
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 10:39:45AM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> > I couldn't set "python" in hashbang (as I said before: gaupol will not work
> > with python2.3). Package was build when python2.3 was default so
> > hashbang was set to python2.4. Now when python2.3 was removed from
> > Debian, package needed binNMU (due to wrong hashbang) even if it's
> > arch:all.
> No, it needed an *update* when python2.3 was removed.  BinNMUs a) are for
> arch: any packages only (this is for a reason), and b) not an appropriate
> method for changing things like the python hashbang used in a script, which
> is something that should be evaluated on a per-package basis.

you're right, python2.4 is still available in Debian so update is not
required, but please note that all applications with python2.3 in hashbang
will not work now, even if they're arch:all (so new upload is needed).

> > > Oh, and if gaupol really needs python 2.4 or better, then the package's
> > > current dependencies are wrong...
>
> > python2.4 is default now so there's no need to add extra dependencies
>
> Um, no.  Your package is supposed to have a versioned dependency on python
> (>= 2.4), and it doesn't.

I have replaced "2.4" with "current" when python2.4 became default, but
yes - I will change it to "current, >=2.4" with my next upload (package
depends on python (>=2.4) only during build time now)

--
-=[     Piotr Ozarowski     ]=-
-=[ http://www.ozarowski.pl ]=-