Re: Proposed update to the python policy

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:36:08PM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Tristan Seligmann, 22.03.2007]
> > * Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> [2007-03-21 21:49:00 +0100]:

> > >   could you explain me in which part 'current' is helping you here ? I
> > > missed to understand what asking for:

> > >   XS-Python-Version: >= 2.5

> > Doesn't this indicate that the package should be built for all versions
> > 2.5 and up, rather than a single version?

> yes, but since package is depending only on python-dev (and not python-all-dev),
> python-<system> should assume "current" by default (and add it to XB-Python-Version
> so that there will be no problems with recompilation of pyc files when 2.6
> will become default)

hmm, three things:

- relying on Build-Depends to indicate whether a package builds "current" or
  "all" doesn't seem to leave a way to differentiate between packages that
  follow the new policy and really /are/ binNMUable, from those that don't
  follow the new policy but obviously still need to b-d on python-*dev.
- Build-Depends information is only in the Sources file, not in Packages;
  detecting packages that need binNMUs requires trawling the Packages file,
  it would be nice if it didn't require correlating both Packages and
  Sources
- having a package's build rules behavior vary in response to the contents
  of the build-depends is unprecedented and, IMHO, a very bad idea.
  Basically, this would eliminate a very important check that the maintainer
  hasn't made a mistake along the line -- it's far better to get a build
  failure in such a case than to get a misbuilt package.

> > As I understood it, "current" indicates that the package should only be
> > built for one version of python, the version that is currently the
> > default version in Debian.

> not necessary default (see "current, >=2.X" where 2.X is greater than default)
> but for single version only, yes. I understand it this way, but
> apparently I don't understand "current", though.

I don't think it was intended that "current, >= 2.X" be used to
*successfully* build packages when 2.X is greater than the currently
available python-dev.