Re: Proposed update to the python policy

[Pierre Habouzit, 21.03.2007]
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 08:28:47PM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> > "current" keyword is deprecated? Why? I'm using it a lot and I like
> > it...
>
>   What are you using it for exactly ? I mean, please give an example,
> with an actual package, that would be okay. Because I'm 100% sure that
> current is (1) not a good idea (2) not needed in fact.

it's useful for Python applications that need specific Python version.

f.e. if current Python version is 2.4 and my app. will work only with
python2.5 and above, I can Build-depend on python-dev (>= 2.5) | python2.5-dev
and set XS-Python-Version: to "current, >=2.5"

example packages: emma, pypar2, gaupol, griffith

BTW: I like rest of your diffs (I don't know much about "Python-Depends"
control field, though)

PS Is it the right time to think about merging python-{central,support}
or is it to early for that?
--
-=[     Piotr Ozarowski     ]=-
-=[ http://www.ozarowski.pl ]=-