Re: Proposed update to the python policy

[Tristan Seligmann, 22.03.2007]
> * Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> [2007-03-21 21:49:00 +0100]:
> > On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 09:25:52PM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> > > it's useful for Python applications that need specific Python version.
> > >
> > > f.e. if current Python version is 2.4 and my app. will work only with
> > > python2.5 and above, I can Build-depend on python-dev (>= 2.5) | python2.5-dev
> > > and set XS-Python-Version: to "current, >=2.5"
> > >
> > > example packages: emma, pypar2, gaupol, griffith
> >
> >   could you explain me in which part 'current' is helping you here ? I
> > missed to understand what asking for:
> >
> >   XS-Python-Version: >= 2.5
>
> Doesn't this indicate that the package should be built for all versions
> 2.5 and up, rather than a single version?

yes, but since package is depending only on python-dev (and not python-all-dev),
python-<system> should assume "current" by default (and add it to XB-Python-Version
so that there will be no problems with recompilation of pyc files when 2.6
will become default)

> >   and please tell me what it changed in the package you built with that.
> > I'm curious. Btw I don't think you answered the question properly, as
> > you didn't explained the think current achieves for you. And honnestly,
> > it's not a trick question, I mean it, what is its purpose for you. I
> > don't see its usefulness, but I may miss a thing :)
>
> As I understood it, "current" indicates that the package should only be
> built for one version of python, the version that is currently the
> default version in Debian.

not necessary default (see "current, >=2.X" where 2.X is greater than default)
but for single version only, yes. I understand it this way, but
apparently I don't understand "current", though.

I think compiling (private or not) modules provided by {emma,gaupol,grifffith,any
other Python application} for all supported Python versions is just a
waste of space.

--
-=[     Piotr Ozarowski     ]=-
-=[ http://www.ozarowski.pl ]=-