Re: Proposed update to the python policy

[Steve Langasek, 22.03.2007]
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:36:08PM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> > yes, but since package is depending only on python-dev (and not python-all-dev),
> > python-<system> should assume "current" by default (and add it to XB-Python-Version
> > so that there will be no problems with recompilation of pyc files when 2.6
> > will become default)
>
> hmm, three things:
>
> - relying on Build-Depends to indicate whether a package builds "current" or
>   "all" doesn't seem to leave a way to differentiate between packages that
>   follow the new policy and really /are/ binNMUable, from those that don't
>   follow the new policy but obviously still need to b-d on python-*dev.
> - Build-Depends information is only in the Sources file, not in Packages;
>   detecting packages that need binNMUs requires trawling the Packages file,
>   it would be nice if it didn't require correlating both Packages and
>   Sources

Build-Depends is used only at build time. Python-Versions field is in binary
package.

> - having a package's build rules behavior vary in response to the contents
>   of the build-depends is unprecedented and, IMHO, a very bad idea.
>   Basically, this would eliminate a very important check that the maintainer
>   hasn't made a mistake along the line -- it's far better to get a build
>   failure in such a case than to get a misbuilt package.

so lets keep "current" in XS-P-V (and not only in XB-P-V)

BTW: I'm building my python modules for *all* supported Python
version at build time, even for arch:all packages - just to make sure
they compile fine.

> > > As I understood it, "current" indicates that the package should only be
> > > built for one version of python, the version that is currently the
> > > default version in Debian.
>
> > not necessary default (see "current, >=2.X" where 2.X is greater than default)
> > but for single version only, yes. I understand it this way, but
> > apparently I don't understand "current", though.
>
> I don't think it was intended that "current, >= 2.X" be used to
> *successfully* build packages when 2.X is greater than the currently
> available python-dev.

if python-dev (>=2.X) | python2.X-dev is not available during build
process, it will just fail and maintainer will not be able to upload
such package, am I right?

BTW: "current, >=2.4" helped me a lot with packaging gaupol when
python2.3 was default

--
-=[     Piotr Ozarowski     ]=-
-=[ http://www.ozarowski.pl ]=-