Re: Proposed update to the python policy

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 09:25:52PM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Pierre Habouzit, 21.03.2007]
> > On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 08:28:47PM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> > > "current" keyword is deprecated? Why? I'm using it a lot and I like
> > > it...
> >
> >   What are you using it for exactly ? I mean, please give an example,
> > with an actual package, that would be okay. Because I'm 100% sure that
> > current is (1) not a good idea (2) not needed in fact.
>
> it's useful for Python applications that need specific Python version.
>
> f.e. if current Python version is 2.4 and my app. will work only with
> python2.5 and above, I can Build-depend on python-dev (>= 2.5) | python2.5-dev
> and set XS-Python-Version: to "current, >=2.5"
>
> example packages: emma, pypar2, gaupol, griffith

  could you explain me in which part 'current' is helping you here ? I
missed to understand what asking for:

  XS-Python-Version: >= 2.5

  would haven't achieved. In fact, what I understand from current, is
that it designs python2.4 for now, so how is that accurate for your
example ?

  I mean, try to set:

  XS-Python-Version: >= 2.5

  and please tell me what it changed in the package you built with that.
I'm curious. Btw I don't think you answered the question properly, as
you didn't explained the think current achieves for you. And honnestly,
it's not a trick question, I mean it, what is its purpose for you. I
don't see its usefulness, but I may miss a thing :)

> BTW: I like rest of your diffs (I don't know much about "Python-Depends"
> control field, though)
>
> PS Is it the right time to think about merging python-{central,support}
> or is it to early for that?

  It's only thinking for now, and I think it's really the moment to
think about further plans for lenny obviously.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit