Re: Announcing miniDebConf Montreal 2020 -- August 6th to August 9th 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 07:49:59AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> We could have something like a "bid acceptability check", at the start of
> the process, to detect, discuss and formally decide on Elephants early
> on.
> One way to achieve that could be to poll regular DebConf attendees about
> the bid, to measure the proportion of those who would not attend such a
> conference. (Historically, we had issues with DC13 (because camp), DC10
> and DC14 (because US), and DC18 (because Brazil) at least -- I don't
> remember if there were discussions about DC11 and DC16 but there could
> have been.)

Another and clearly better and more inclusive approach would be to not
"penalize" people for the government under which they happen to live.
Everyone who is involved in the Debian project is making an actual
effort to improve the world and it would be far more productive to give
other members of the Debian community the benefit of the doubt when it
comes to these matters.

The only thing that polling regular DebConf attendees on the suitability
of future venues is likely to do is bias the venue selection process
based on the preferences of the poll respondents.  That seems less
inclusive rather than more inclusive.

Regards,

-Roberto
--