Re: Announcing miniDebConf Montreal 2020 -- August 6th to August 9th 2020

Hey OdyX

On 2020/02/18 10:43, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>> I'm quite frustrated, disappointed and angry reading the above.
>>
>> I had expressed a fairly strong discomfort with the anti-DC20 messaging
>> I got from the original contact about Montreal.
>
> To offer some contrast, although I can agree such introduction _could_ have
> been left out of the announcement email, I find the phrasing to be honest,
> transparent, and fair: it is not against Debian, not against DebConf, not
> against the DebConf Committee. It is merely explaining in full sight their
> reasons to a) not attend DebConf; b) organize that event at that time.
>
> Specifically, I find the announcement OK _because_ the event dates do not
> directly conflict with DebConf20's.

+1 to all of the above. If the dates were on or too close to DC20, I
would not want to attend or support this event in any way. Personally I
would leave the intro out too, but it is honest, and it's the reality.
Having a DebConf in Isreal is inherently political, you can shy way from
that fact or wish it away.

>> In particular, we as a project made a decision about where we were
>> holding DebConf 20.
>
> I'd rephrase this as "the DebConf committee, as DPL delegates, made a decision
> about by whom DebConf20 was to be organized and where; this decision has not
> been overriden by a GR" [0,1].  There's nuance away from "we as a project made
> a decision".

I haven't publicly said this before, but I believe it was a big mistake:

 * Not having a bid committee for that vote
 * Making it a private vote
 * Not announcing the the DCC would be the bid committee
   nor that it would be a private vote

I've brought these up in various private discussions before, and
unfortunately it's too late to change that decision without further,
possibly worse consequences, but I think the current DebConf committee
should strongly consider setting up a bid committee again (even if it
largely or mostly overlaps with the DCC, that might just be natural) and
keep the bid decision public as it was in prior DebConfs. I've seen
people express this on IRC before and I hope they speak up on more
formal channels too.

>> The above messaging  comes across as a condemnation of what the project
>> has decided to do, rather than something that supports our diversity and
>> compliments DC20 while supporting those who choose not to attend.

On a purely personal note, I find it in rather poor taste to talk about
diversity in the context of having DC in a country with an active
apartheid regime.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage