Re: Re: Announcing miniDebConf Montreal 2020 -- August 6th to August 9th 2020

Hi Jonathan

I haven't publicly said this before, but I believe it was a big mistake:

  * Not having a bid committee for that vote
  * Making it a private vote
  * Not announcing the the DCC would be the bid committee
    nor that it would be a private vote

You have been part of the DCC at the time, just sayin' in case you forgot.

I've brought these up in various private discussions before, and
unfortunately it's too late to change that decision without further,
possibly worse consequences, but I think the current DebConf committee
should strongly consider setting up a bid committee again (even if it
largely or mostly overlaps with the DCC, that might just be natural) and
keep the bid decision public as it was in prior DebConfs. I've seen
people express this on IRC before and I hope they speak up on more
formal channels too.

Translation: I did not get the result I wanted, so I'd like a "bid committee" next time in the hope that decisions will be more in line with my personal convictions.

We held public review meetings for the DC21 bids. You did not care to show up for either of them.

On a purely personal note, I find it in rather poor taste to talk about
diversity in the context of having DC in a country with an active
apartheid regime.

Roberto gave you an answer to this already.

"active apartheid regime" is politically loaded lingo and shows where you stand.
Employing it disqualifies rational arguments, if you had any.

Daniel