Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

Le lundi 23 décembre 2019 à 17:43:21+0100, Iustin Pop a écrit :

> >     Norbert> Dear Pierre-Elliott, (I am not subscribed to d-p anymore)
> >
> >     Norbert> thanks for your email. I would like to ask you for an
> >     Norbert> explanation:
> >
> >     Norbert> On Sun, 22 Dec 2019, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> >     >> If you have troubles with diversity and the fact that to protect
> >     >> it, we have to be more careful with minorities than we have to be
> >     >> with the regular majority, no one is forcing you to stay in the
> >     >> project.
> >
> >     Norbert> Could you please tell me how you came to the conclusion
> >     Norbert> that I have troubles with minorities?
> >
> > I think this may be a English issue.
> > In this message I'm simply trying to help explain Pierre-Elliott's
> > position, not to comment on it.
> >
> > As I understand it, Pierre-Elliott is suggesting that if you have
> > trouble with the idea that we are more protective of minorities--that
> > when marginalized communities speak we are more tolerant of anger and
> > other emotions that can be perceived as uncivil--that you could leave.
>
> Well, I would clarity as well here—is this the official position of the
> project, that some groups (and I really don't care which groups) get
> lenience on the CoC because they are minorities?
>
> If so, that also troubles me somewhat. What Pierre-Elliott said in a
> follow-up email (that neither the original email nor Tina's reply were
> appropriate) is, IMO, how "equality for everyone in Debian" should be,
> not that "oh, CoC is flexible depending on which group you belong to".

My opinion is, indeed, that it'd have been better if Tina were able to
avoid such language and aggressivity. But my opinion is also that the
initial email is quite violent and I therefore understand why Tina's
feeling having been hurt, she could have reacted that way.

And having seen almost no one telling Geraldo such a thing, I find it
disturbing to see that much people getting out of the woods to suddenly
say that "oh well, equality is mandatory".

> Of course, I belong to a priviledged group, so I am biased here. But I
> would hope that equality starts with at least _intending_ to apply the
> rules equaly.

If we wish to uphold equality, then the first thing is to react without
delay to the first email. Before blaming the one who reacts, please
blame the one who hurts/attacks/provoke.

I'm pretty sure that, if I were a member of a minor community, feeling
safer because my "privileged" peers react when someone tries to tackle
anything that constitute my identity, and therefore my mere existence,
would help me a lot to avoid breaking the CoC by letting my feelings
take the best of me.

My two cents.

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2